Or how I managed to stop worrying and reconcile two creative disciplines – coding and performing…
One of my favourite performance exercises is called Yippee. It is very simple with a myriad of ways to subvert it and take the class in different directions. It encapsulates pretty much every performance skill needed, and is a good indicator of a group’s competency and complicity. Because of all these things I often use it to start a workshop.
A friend of mine (lets call him John) wanted to create a theatre company and produce devised pieces based on clowning techniques (when I say clown, think Homer Simson, not Krusty). He succeeded in his grant applications, got a very talented bunch of performers together, the best director in the field, and started devising.
It was all going really well, except for one thing.
I’ve just started shaving a goat, or yak, or whichever the ungulate of choice is this season. These are my steps so far.
- Trace out an API in MXML .
- But I can’t do that, because MXML won’t let me do what I want (yet).
- Master writing AS3 for building in MXML
- But I can’t do that, because I can’t find any references on the subject and none of my experiments have worked
- Write a blog about it.
- Yep, I can do that…
I was cleaning some code of mine yesterday, when I came across a solution for a common AS3Signal problem which I hadn’t even registering at the time. Continue reading
My last talk at Flash Brighton was (for me) a discussion about how other people used state machines in as3, basically because I was dissatisfied with the limited way that I was using mine.
It turned out they used theirs in pretty much the same way. As a backbone for simple staged processes such as bootstrapping, asset acquisition and shutdown.
And that was it.
I was a bit frustrated, my original intent for using a state machine was to completely model my controller, so I would have a map of processes through out the entire application. But I kept on hitting the same problems preventing me from doing this.
Coming out of the talk, I decided that I would set myself a challenge: to change the way I used my state machine, and map all my commands through it.
I succeeded (eventually).
In this session I shall highlight the problems involved and the very simple changes of perspective it took to overcome them.
Recently I’ve been feeling overwhelmed and underfulfilled in my work.
There is just TOO much to learn: the geek front-line is running away with itself, and I am feeling a little bit too old ever to catch up.
Yes, I’ve just got this blog working again (its actually been out for a few months).
I’ve been putting a lot of effort into (as3)statemachine.org over the last few months, and hadn’t noticed that my ISP had moved their ftp server, and I was getting resolving errors.
Weirder though was the 500 error I was getting on trying to navigate to any wp admin pages. Eventually this sorted it. The php scripts were running out of memory, apparently. Adding a php.ini file in the wp-admin folder with memory=20MB fixed the problem.
Finally I’ve done what I should have done ages ago, instead of writing layers (and layers) of abstraction over the pureMVC statemachine utility, I have just rewritten it.
The over heads of the Domino code was ridiculous, and besides there are other frameworks out there, Robotlegs in particular.
So what I have done is to free it from any:
- framework dependencies,
- comms bus dependencies (events, signals, notifications),
- and data dependencies (for declaring the FSM).
The source is at AS3StateMachine on github, and I have registered statemachine.org for all related stuff.
My favourite is the Signal StateMachine for Robotlegs
I’m giving an introductory talk at FlashBrighton about State Machines on March 9th at the Werks. You can also catch it streaming live at http://live.flashbrighton.org at round about 7.00pm GMT (ok, it might not start till quarter past, when the bods in the real world have turned up :).
Recently this happened to my Flash CS3 Professional:
On start up I get error messages that won’t go away. They’ll always say “At line 1 of file “FLBridge_init.jsfl”: ReferenceError: FLBridge is not defined”, and whenever I try to exit the pop-up message, another one takes its place.
I’d have to do some acrobatic mouse work to actually quit Flash. Note that this isn’t a crash, Flash seems to be working perfectly, just with consistent and irritating alerts.
Re-installation didn’t help, and I found only three reference on web (one in Chinese) with no answers, Adobe support was also no help.
However, in an inspired moment, I thought I’d change my user profile (using Vista Home). Yup, that worked. So, still no idea about cause, but at least I’ve got Flash Back.