don’t just try harder – level up


A friend of mine (lets call him John) wanted to create a theatre company and produce devised pieces based on clowning techniques (when I say clown, think Homer Simson, not Krusty). He succeeded in his grant applications, got a very talented bunch of performers together, the best director in the field, and started devising.
It was all going really well, except for one thing.
Continue reading

Writing AS3, building in MXML – Doh?

I’ve just started shaving a goat, or yak, or whichever the ungulate of choice is this season. These are my steps so far.

  1. Trace out an API in MXML .
  2. But I can’t do that, because MXML won’t let me do what I want (yet).
  3. Master writing AS3 for building in MXML
  4. But I can’t do that, because I can’t find any references on the subject and none of my experiments have worked
  5. Write a blog about it.
  6. Yep, I can do that…

Continue reading

fresh paint

Yes, I’ve just got this blog working again (its actually been out for a few months).
I’ve been putting a lot of effort into (as3)statemachine.org over the last few months, and hadn’t noticed that my ISP had moved their ftp server, and I was getting resolving errors.

Weirder though was the 500 error I was getting on trying to navigate to any wp admin pages. Eventually this sorted it. The php scripts were running out of memory, apparently. Adding a php.ini file in the wp-admin folder with memory=20MB fixed the problem.

ReferenceError: FLBridge is not defined

Recently this happened to my Flash CS3 Professional:
On start up I get error messages that won’t go away. They’ll always say “At line 1 of file “FLBridge_init.jsfl”: ReferenceError: FLBridge is not defined”, and whenever I try to exit the pop-up message, another one takes its place.

I’d have to do some acrobatic mouse work to actually quit Flash. Note that this isn’t a crash, Flash seems to be working perfectly, just with consistent and irritating alerts.

Re-installation didn’t help, and I found only three reference on web (one in Chinese) with no answers, Adobe support was also no help.

However, in an inspired moment, I thought I’d change my user profile (using Vista Home). Yup, that worked. So, still no idea about cause, but at least I’ve got Flash Back.

DominoLite

OK, so after some discussion with Nils Millahn I have cut down the functionality for my first release of Domino.

Domino will build and inject the StateMachine and add these additional functionalities:

    1) the ability to define custom States in the XML markup
    2) two additional notifications:
  • cancelled called when a state transition is cancelled
  • teardown called when the state has changed successfully, but before the entered notification is send for the next state.
    • 3) the ability to declare a command in the XML to be executed at each stage of the state transition cycle.
      4) the ability to declare state specific notifications in the XML to be send at each stage of the state transition cycle.

    —————————————————————
    the XML:

    
         
       
       
       
       
          
    

    —————————————————————
    So at the moment I’ve given it to a few people to have a look at it to give feedback, and when I’m happy will upload it to my google.code site.

    Oh and please feel free to leave your own suggestions :)

    Domino rides again

    Strange how things come full circle.

    Last year I was trying to manage the flow of pureMVC commands in my applications. Two things came out of this, the StateMachine utility, and an idea that I christened Domino. Well, Domino went a bit strange on me, and eventually I let it fallow for a bit while I worked on the FSMVisualiser.

    I’ve been manically working on several projects this year, and as I was commenting a utility that had been evolving throughout this time, I realised that with a tweek here and there I could create a layer of abstraction over the StateMachine utility in a simple and (I hope) elegant way. It would fulfill the original purpose of Domino without getting really complicated in the process. Basically it extends the StateMachine markup XML so that it also defines the relationships between pureMVC actors within each state.

    This month I’ve been able to do a bit more work on the FSMVisualiser, and am incorporating my Domino utility into it as a proof of concept.
    Continue reading